You may be at risk for periodontal disease and not even know it. Periodontal disease, also known as gum disease, is an infection of your gum tissue. To help keep your smile safe, set forth effective risk factor prevention plans. Here’s a list of some of the common risk factors for gum disease:
– Heavy drug use, as well as chewing or smoking tobacco, are known risk factors for gum disease. Furthermore, smoking has been known to lower treatment success rates.
– Genetics are known to play a key role in the development of gum disease and can make individuals up to six times more likely to suffer from the ailment.
– Be aware that several medications can produce dry mouth as a side effect, which is a known risk factor for gum disease.
– If you have a poor diet and are not eating properly, you may be putting your mouth at an increased risk for gum disease.
– It’s always important to visit your dentist for routine checkups and examinations to determine if gum disease is present.
– Sometimes, issues that you may have little control over can lead to gum disease. This includes hormonal changes, the presence of diabetes and pregnancy.
For more information about the risk factors associated with gum disease, you can speak with Dr. Adam Vitelli and our team at Adam Vitelli Comprehensive Dentistry by calling us at 301-972-1400. If you require a comprehensive oral exam, our office is located in Germantown, Maryland.