What are the best methods for fighting cavities? Cavities are the result of eroded tooth enamel to the point that a hole has formed in a tooth. Although your tooth enamel is a very stout protective layer of your teeth, it can be damaged as the result of plaque buildup and harmful acids. If a cavity forms your tooth’s root can become vulnerable to infection and decay. If left unchecked, tooth loss can occur. Listed below are a few common tips to help you foil cavities:
– Always attend your scheduled checkups and professional cleanings at your dentist so that they can inspect your smile for cavities.
– When choosing a toothbrush and dental floss, use products that are endorsed by your dentist or feature the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Try using extra dental cleaners after meals, such as mouthwash.
– Avoid sugars and acidic foods and follow a balanced healthy diet including foods that have a high water content.
– Cavities can occur at any time, so be sure to brush and floss daily for the entirety of your life.
– Avoid foods and drinks that are sticky and chewy, as they can linger in your mouth long after snack time and can continue to damage your teeth and gums.
For a cavity diagnosis and treatment, please contact Vitelli Comprehensive Dentistry to schedule a consultation with Dr. Adam Vitelli and our team in Germantown, Maryland. We can be reached at 301-972-1400 today. Let us help you achieve a healthy smile!